Monday, June 6, 2022

AFTER THE GAELIC

 


to Turlough O Carolan for his songs in Heaven

(1670-25 March 1738) 


I could not see through the crystal page

I was ever that lost

and wandering through the


dream you dreamed

how could I spell

the moon, the stars-


let it not be said

I wandered there in vain

when Christ was on my left


and on my right

when bright through the

thickets of dim sleep


his kindliest name appeared all candlelit

in reels of rose, in my own sky-

never to be forgotten.


it was then I saw

through the crystal

men called poetry


straight through to the guardian green


of abiding song-then I knew

there is no farewell to music.


and God gave me

the names of the moon and stars

and the harp of perfect stillness-


jeweled


mary angela douglas 12 july 2011



Despues del Gaelico


Yo no podia ver a traves de la pagina de cristal

yo estaba cada vez tan perdido

y vagando por el sueno que sonaste

como podria hechizo de la luna, las

estrellas

que no se diga que vagaba en vano

cuando Cristo estaba a mi izquierda y a mi derecha

cuando brilla a traves de la espesura

del sueno oscuro

su nombre mas simple de la rosa

hay que no olvidar jamas.

entonces fue que vi a traves del cristal

que los hombres se llama 'la poesia'

directamente a traves

del angel de la guarda verde

de cancion constante-

entonces supe que no hay ninguna despedida

a la musica

y Dios me dio los nombres de

la luna y las estrellas

y el arpa de quietud perfecta-

de piedras preciosas-

  

mary angela douglas 12 july 2011/Spanish translation 1 august 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORDS AND MUSIC LATELY

  mirage like music comes and goes oh beautiful mirror beyond the sing along that the heart can't help but gaze upon but the words fail ...