Thursday, June 2, 2022

I GATHERED FRESH GARDENIAS;YOU WERE MISSING

 

For Virginia Woolf


I gathered fresh gardenias: you were missing

and zinnia periled summers waved me by.


I followed down the path of your demise, 

my own breath caught in trees

above the Flood


and pressed my fingertips into

your orchid-backed mirror's

perfect pearl-on-pearl


turning through each

dream-curled edge

into the whorl of

contravening years


and sallow interpreters.

o willow willow war was near

but the kindness of your mind


does not contract; the crisp

carnation rooms are still

your own: 


a crystal condensation's flame

on the flung-open window; the

inlaid diaries of quartz

and rain-


all chatelained gestures foregone

for these moonlit cloud-inscriptions

of uncalibrated grace are written

on the evening sky.


sensing your angel's churning wing, 

I cried.

o rose geranium stillness


violet sky

against which lemon lovely sounds were

splashing...


your apricot excursion's standing down

oh why


no second snow on snow's appearing, 

starred like winter's cotillions, 

only warmer...


your garnet constellations

break apart and my heart

falters


losing this kaleidiscope

forever

with no continuance: 


the semi-precious laws remain in force.


mere sleeves of her egress remain: 

sheer-beaded brocade caught

as the moment, strand by strand


too visibly dissolves.


desert me now, sotto voce, 

as your angels melt in music, 


gone


then I saw

brightness brightness


every shining phrase unshunned


and drowned in Light


mary angela douglas 30-may-2 june 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORDS AND MUSIC LATELY

  mirage like music comes and goes oh beautiful mirror beyond the sing along that the heart can't help but gaze upon but the words fail ...