Wednesday, June 1, 2022

LETTER TO ST. CATHERINE (OF SIENA)

 

siena's stars look down on me.

St. Catherine-

from pitch-true tiles of pink and green


on crumbling walls in a picture book

I trace-


camelia faces of the early martyrs

torn from very light

and leaning into a wind I cannot see

that's still - still - shining...


like a crystal they can't quite dissolve-


lean out of a crackling anguish

I cannot explain-


fix on a vision barely

out of view in

this mosaic's span


with faces kind

like home, as you remember it-


the distance widens and

I'm by myself, rehearsing no

brief candle's exit


but praying sotto voce at the

temp agencies God please get

me out of here from so


many office windows vistaless

bring the ladder of prismatic light

and lead me down in my


robin's egg blue dress

a thin diguise but you will understand

I'm reading the clockface wrong

and in disgrace-


but gold slips through the interstices

of cracked venetian blinds though everything

else excoriates-


and whispers that I'm not in trouble-

and there's a word I want to say

if only I knew how-

to crack the

strange veneer of this captivity: 


that it's the moon washed gold to silver

through clouds good angels hold in place

for such a little while


and poppy red is a

dress for Christmas Eve that crackles like

a new bought star you can't put on yet you're


hiding your old paint-box under 'P'

and clutching the rose-threaded book of

hours they must - not - see...


I'll see again

through white enameled rain

the rainbowed sequenced eyelash

I cannot explain


the radiance on the wall of my lost islands.

let steps on the pavement fade


and history's parchments

matter less and less than

purloined arrows bouncing off the sun-


there's nothing in the mail

when you get off the bus and run

toward a beryl glory richly rung

where once the noise of shadows

swallowed prayer


and lied: 'The King is Dead'.

let lesser kings brush by to your dismay

the rose eclat of your


lost teardrop's

coda smudged...

and the unopened evelope

stranded on the table


like a lost country.


Castaway, they're leaving

their last scar

said His decree, 

on purple unruled paper-


I'll be the child

of white cathedral rains

released from school

and pearl-drenched in the end


and on the very page

a snowy word waits for me

in a poppy colored light


a nosegay, valentine set in

bloom paper-airplane blown from God's own

curio hand and spiraling past the


campanile in the picture

at the right place in the music 

so that childish classroom voices

chime out 'o-oh...! '


and doubled up in velvet like

the princess' train and still

in love with God you're finding


all you can't explain leaning

out of the window set with jewels

they can't replace-


and off to the side and smiling

barely out of view

with raspberry shrub fresh-made

on the Christmas porch


with golden chicken salad golden apple laced

on haloed toast points, lightly buttered

with wax paper greetings - marbled cake



with a scrolled and silver music still unwinding

sprung from an anguish I cannot explain, 

the cherished faces wreathed in pink and green

you missed from home-


mary angela douglas 6-7,10 november 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORDS AND MUSIC LATELY

  mirage like music comes and goes oh beautiful mirror beyond the sing along that the heart can't help but gaze upon but the words fail ...