Saturday, June 18, 2022

MY SWANS WHEEL AWAY




[after the manner of Hans Christian Andersen]

my swans wheel away

in disbelief:
could I be theirs?

I mourn in the mirror of the

skies, perfecting my reflection
in dismay

quaking in the clear pearl shadows

of their going

my swans turn away

from my frank, happy question:
"is it you?"

incapable of reply


so lofty, made of snow,
but hard;


even in blue-bell decked

midsommer, never melting-

pleased with one another

preening the crystal feathers;
out of reach, like stars-

they shine and blur

or is it only water that's
so dazzling

and can't be called back.

it's only I-

am sobbing "clouds on clouds"

drifting further than could be expected -

(all-in-all)


and won't be comforted

by any tribes now-

mary angela douglas 22 july 2010









*poems references are of course to Hans Christian Anderson's The Ugly Duckling and represent a kind of alternative ending, or maybe it's a case of the false swans before the true (appearing).

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORDS AND MUSIC LATELY

  mirage like music comes and goes oh beautiful mirror beyond the sing along that the heart can't help but gaze upon but the words fail ...