Tuesday, June 7, 2022

VAN GOGH TO HIS BROTHER, UNDATED LETTER, SUMMER, 1891

 

to my brother, Alan


the yellow leaves were falling

I could not catch them with my hands

the yellow stars and the pastel haloes

round them, ringing like colored glass

and every shade, a sound: 

I was painting them mid-flight-

rosettes, like medals pinned against

the night, my

Legion of Honor-

You know, we always knew the

time of orchards was so brief, remember? 

the pink and the mauve - the

apricot light - the moment's lightening.


I have a new studio: the walls are iris

touched with snow.

I'm painting in colors we never

dreamed existed - without haste.

Dear Theo.

nothing is wasted.


mary angela douglas 23 april 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORDS AND MUSIC LATELY

  mirage like music comes and goes oh beautiful mirror beyond the sing along that the heart can't help but gaze upon but the words fail ...